I got a question from a client about my favourite healthy foods. Tough question, but these are the 10 things I buy to keep an eat-clean and nutritiously stocked kitchen.
1. Quark. Quark without added sugar is one of my preferred everyday products. I eat quark for breakfast and snack, in sauces and as dessert. My favourite brand in Belgium is Heirler, found in health food shops. Quark is perfect for those of you who work out a lot since it’s rich in proteins (12 g/100g), quite low in calories and keeps you full in between meals.
2. Broccoli. Frozen or fresh. The frozen florets are perfect when preparing lunches to go since they’ll keep your food container cold. Broccoli contains complex carbs and lots of fibers that makes it very satiating. Add vitamins to that and you have my favourite veggie!
3. Cod. Cod gives you lean protein, vitamin B-12 and lots of heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. I use a lot of spices and herbs when I prepare cod since the fish itself doesn’t taste that much. I usually buy frozen cod in 100 g portions at Picard, they’re perfect when preparing lunch and dinner.
4. Eggs. I couldn’t survive without eggs! I eat them everyday. Eggs are extremely nutritious, they’re packed with protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. I love them boiled, fried, scrambled. Added to porridge and in protein pancakes! And always organic.
5. Beetroot. My favourite root vegetable. Alongside potato, sweet potato, carrot and parsnip of course. Beetroots are rich in fiber, antioxidants and many other nutrients that are important for the human body. I love them boiled, roasted, cold in salads, raw and shredded, in smoothies and juices, as patties. You name it – I love it!
6. Avocado. A day without avocado is a very bad day for me. Avocados are packed with over 20 nutrients and vitamins that work as antioxidants. One of my favourite nutrients, Omega-3, is also found in avocados. I use avocado when preparing lunch and dinner, as bread spread, in smoothies and as a base in ice cream. Or just as it is with a little bit of lemon juice and black pepper.
7. Chicken. My favourite source of lean protein. Chicken can be prepared in so many ways and I doubt I’ll get tired of it. I prefer it baked in the oven with a lot of spices, like sambal oelek, and herbs.
8. Blueberries. I love all berries, but something that I always have at home is blueberries. Blueberries contain antioxidants and are very low in sugar. I prefer mine with porridge, pancakes, yogurt and quark. I look forward hand-picking them on the Åland Islands this summer!
9. Salmon. Salmon contains high quality proteins, various essential nutrients and healthy fats, like Omega-3 fatty acids. More so than in cod. I love cold and hot smoked salmon, but usually I prepare salmon in the oven with some spices (cayenne, chili and paprika powder) and herbs.
10. Rolled oats. I use oats in everything. And I mean everything! Breakfast porridge, bread, crispbread, pancakes, on top of yogurt and quark, in protein balls and home made granola… This is my favourite brand in Belgium. Organic oats and found even in the smallest of Delhaizes.
These are the foods that I’ll have at home every day, any time of the year. The list could go on for ever, but If I were to add a few more foods it might look something like this:
Veggies/Fruit/Berries: Lemons, spinach, sweet potato, tomatoes, bananas, frozen raspberries.
Legumes: Beans, chick peas, lentils.
Grains/flour: Quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, coconut flour, oat flour.
Protein/dairy: Turkey, shrimps, hummus, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, nut milk (substitute for milk).
Fats & Oils: Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, almonds, nuts, nut butter, pumpkin, flax and chia seeds.
Seasonings: Sambal oelek, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, raw honey.