Yesterday I decided to prepare one of my fiancé’s favourite vegetarian dishes, aubergine lasagna. With lots of vegetables and healthier fats this version is a delicious alternative to the normally fatty dish. I actually found it to be even tastier today, so it’s perfect for make-ahead meals!
Servings: 4 Ready in: 60 min
- 1 aubergine, medium size
- 125 grams mozzarella
- 3 dl oat cream or almond cream
- 2 handfuls fresh basil leaves
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 carrot
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 dl mushrooms
- 400 grams tinned plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp bell pepper powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Grate the carrot and chop the onion and mushrooms into small pieces.
- Slowly fry the vegetables and mushrooms in coconut oil and a bit of water.
- Add tomatoes, tomato purée, finely chopped garlic and spices.
- Boil for 8 minutes.
- Cut the aubergine into thin slices, about ½ cm thick.
- Spread a layer of aubergine in a shallow dish greased with coconut oil, add sauce, a bit of cream and sprinkle over some spinach.
- Repeat once or twice, top the last layer with a sprinkling of sliced mozzarella and chopped basil leaves.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.