Yesterday I got my hands on some organic rhubarb from Liège and decided to make a pie. The ingredient list is very simple and although I prefer almond-based ingredients, don’t hesitate to use your choice of gluten-free flour, dairy substitute and sweetener if you don’t have the ones I used.
Servings: 8 Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 25 min Ready in: 35 min
- 200 g rhubarb
- 100 g almond flour
- 115 g coconut sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees.
- Grease a round pie dish with coconut oil.
- Wash the rhubarb stalks, chop off and discard the ends and cut them into 2.5 cm pieces without peeling off the skin.
- Place the pieces in the pie dish.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut sugar and salt. Whisk in the eggs, almond milk and vanilla.
- Pour the batter over the rhubarb and place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, sprinkle two tablespoons of coconut sugar over the pie to caramelize the top. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let the pie cool for 20 minutes before serving.