Recently I was asked about protein bars and which brand I’d recommend. Sadly, most of the protein bars on the market today aren’t good at all. If you take a closer look at most of the commercial bars and compare them with a Snickers, you’ll find that it’s pretty much the same amount of calories in them. The difference is that the protein bar contains more of, you guessed it, protein!
If I were to recommend a protein bar I would go for something that is as natural as possible. Raw food bars are probably the best thing you’re going to find. They’re free from nasty chemicals and preservatives, and are without added sugar.
This is my favorite protein bar recipe. Delicious, quick and no baking! These bars are perfect as a pre- or post-workout snack.
Servings: 12 bars Ready in: 15 min
- 2 dl almonds
- 3 1/4 dl gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 dl unsweetened protein powder (I used Holistic Chocolate Protein Powder)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey or 5 whole dates, halved and pitted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Mix the almonds and sea salt in a food processor a couple of minutes until you’ve got almond butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Press firmly and evenly to make a square.
- Top with chopped nuts, dark chocolate, coconut flakes or dried berries.
- Cut it into bars.
- Put the bars in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Store in fridge or freezer.