Pulled pork and pulled chicken are slow-cooked, tender, barbecue-style meats. Pulled chicken takes less time to cook and is lower in calories and fat, making it a healthier choice. And the taste is even better if you ask me, and my dinner guests.
Here’s a tip to get tender and delicious pulled chicken: opt for boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Since chicken thighs have more fat they get softer and falls apart more easily.
When it comes to the barbecue sauce used in pulled chicken I recommend making your own. Most brands contains added sugar, corn syrup and salt. Since it’s so easy to make it yourself, there really isn’t any excuse not to.
Servings: 4 Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 150 min Ready in: 160 min
Ingredients Pulled Chicken:
- 1 kg boneless & skinless chicken thighs (preferably organic)
- 1 big yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 lime fruits
- butter or coconut oil (for cooking)
Ingredients Barbecue sauce:
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp sambal
- 2 dl tomato sauce
- 2 dl water
- 1/2 dl apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1-2 pinches of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Begin with the sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper or other seasonings.
When the sauce is cooking:
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and pat it dry.
- Heat butter or coconut oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, onion, garlic and chili pepper.
- Cook until the chicken changes color.
- Turn off the heat, add lime juice and pour in the barbecue sauce.
- Cover the pot with a heavy lid or two sheets of aluminum foil and put in the oven.
- Bake, covered, for 120 minutes, or until the chicken is extremely tender.
- Remove from the oven and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred the chicken and mix it with the sauce.
Serve with your favorite side dishes. I choose slaw, guacamole, pickled onions, gluten free tortilla or pita bread, on my plate.